Monday, September 29, 2008

Prolonged Premature Rupture of Membranes

I just got a call from my doc and it appears that while my water DIDbreak on Saturday as I thought it had. I have/had what is know as PPROM or Prolonged Premature Rupture of Membranes. This thing can seal itself back up rather quickly. This could be caused by Group B Strep, a very common thing that just about everyone has, but people are not tested for it until late in pregnancy (which I was today!!). Seeing as how Taylor was not in fetal distress, I was not in active labor and I had just hit 36 weeks that day. I was allowed to be discharged, with strict orders (that I had a hard time following!!), with anti-biotics and strict directions from my OB/GYN that if I have any more regular contractions occuring at least 15 minutes apart after doing all the tricks that are supposed to stop contractions, then I am to go right back to the hospital.

He says it is better to be safe than sorry, which is what I've been saying all along. I didn't care that people thought I was panicking or whatever, my fear was of being in bed at night and going into labor and having the baby at home and not knowing what to do. So that is why I went to the hospital like I did. Doctor reassured me that I did the right thing for my child and my own health.

So, Taylor will be or is looking to be born next week or the week after. Will keep you updated.

0 comments: